Friday, November 20, 2009

Holiday Cooking Disasters

I've been inspired to blog by reading the blogs I regularly stalk follow. With Thanksgiving fast approaching, the Season of Binging is about to be upon us. I would love to hear about cooking disasters that others have had. I'll go first: I was home from Auburn for Christmas and needed to bake cookies to take to a SS Christmas party. I was feeling quite creative and had always seen sugar cookies with silver dragees on them. My mother didn't have any of those in the pantry, so I raided my brother's room and used the next best thing-BBs. I mean, they look identical, right? Luckily, my parents came home and saw the BB box on the counter and stopped me before I inflicted lead poisoning on the College and Career class of First Baptist Church. This little debacle earned me the nickname of BB. In my defense, I didn't know those darn dragees were edible-I'd always picked them off cookies!

Anyone else have a horrible cooking mishap to share?

3 comments:

Tara Harden said...

My cooking disaster (not holiday related though): I think I was about 10-12 years old and decided to cook spaghetti by myself (I was all grown up--right?). I got it all cooked, and it looked like it was supposed to, so I just knew it was going to be great. My parents tasted it, got this horrible look on their face, and started laughing. I had apparently forgotten to drain the grease from the hamburger meat before adding the sauce, and cooked the noodles so long they were pretty much mush when you put them in your mouth. It was basically not edible. My husband is already not a huge fan of spaghetti, so I have not told him that story. I don't think he would ever agree to eating it if he knew that.

Tina K Rogers said...

mine was in college as well. i was cooking chicken and dumplins for this guy i was trying to impress..well, we kept our pinesol and the oil under our sink. i added pinesol not realizing it. i kept tasting and thinking this is really not tasting right. so, i added more pinesol, salt and pepper... and it was getting worse. on the final add... i realized i was grabbing the pinesol instead of the oil... so, needless to say we did not eat chicken and dumplins. ha ha

the jewells said...

Those are both hilarious! Tara, you were probably one of the ones that my parents saved from the BBs!